Interesting People mailing list archives

re Levin hints at Broadband Plan

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:50:48 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: December 25, 2009 4:15:20 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: richard () bennett com
Subject: Re: [IP] Levin hints at Broadband Plan

What made my jaw drop in Levin's remarks were that, while summarily ruling out structural/functional separation, he happily foresaw a future for most US citizens where the choice was between 50mpbs wireline as an offering of cable companies via DOCSIS3, and wireless 5mpbs via the phone companies. In his opinion it is quite possible that many will decide that 5mpbs is quite satisfactory.

Echoes of 640k enough for anybody?

In fact wireline just does not seem to be a big concern, seen more as a lifeline. I note his 2006 remarks to the Judiciary Committee: "Given where we are, it is likely that the only way to drive more, bigger, cheaper, and ubiquitous broadband is through new, probably wireless, broadband facilities."
http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/testimony.cfm?id=1937&wit_id=5421

It appears little has occurred at the FCC to change his mind.

joly