Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 21bn to buy back spectrum from tv companies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 06:03:21 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: December 22, 2009 10:35:25 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] darn good question 21bn to buy back spectrum from tv companies

The most obvious way for this to play out is for cable operators to be required to offer a package of basic access to
local channels for free to anyone in the area they serve. In return for that "public interest" obligation, the cable
companies should be able to drop the local government and public access channels; the public should be able to get this
stuff off the Internet anyway. Once TV has been completely moved to cable, the spectrum can be reassigned to mobile
networks, who will use it to meet the demands of, you guessed it, video streaming. The mobile operators will have to
pay a fee for this, in part to cover the costs of free cable, which they will gladly do as long as they can get some of
the ad revenue from personalized advertising. Certain business entities will insist that all ad revenues belong to them
rather than to the operators, and there will be a big fight in DC over the right to sell advertising, which is now
known as "Internet Freedom."

In the end, we will have over-the-air triple play, just as we have wireline triple play, probably with some fraction
available for free or nearly free. On the other hand, we might just abandon to notion that we have a right to free OTA
TV, and go the route of the UK, where everybody pays a license fee for each TV set; they use the money collected that
way to pay for BBC, but we in the US would use it for some other purpose, like paying for health care. That may not be
a bad thing.

RB