Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple keyboard firmware hack demonstrated [RISKS] Risks Digest 25.76

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:33:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: August 16, 2009 8:43:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple keyboard firmware hack demonstrated [RISKS] Risks Digest 25.76

Based on the reported facts below, Apple's ability to "patch" this vulnerability in keyboards in the field is near zero. You can yell and scream at Apple all you want, but if this works, they shipped a vulnerable product, and it cannot be field-repaired. (I can think of some ways to ameliorate the impact, but nothing that can make the keyboards that allow such field upgrades "safe").

So, what should we think about this? Actually, we know very little about the vulnerabilities in *any* USB and Bluetooth keyboards that are in the field. Most of them probably have a way to update their firmware that can be exploited to insert a keylogger capability. Since PCs have a much more diverse set of keyboards, perhaps that diversity helps. Do keyboards with the Microsoft label have firmware update capability? It's hard to prove a negative... I suspect they do, and I suspect Microsoft has no way to find out, since most of them are ODM (outsourced design and manufacturing) designs, as are those of most vendors.

Fundamentally, you want to keep "firmware upgrade" operations away from your firmware-using system components, except when you really know that they are being done right. How to do this with a vulnerable operating system that lets users run arbitrary code that runs as part of the kernel or install updates to the kernel? Well, the answer is, you can't. You just can't. It's not a matter of Windows vs. OS X vs. Unix. All of them have such paths, because all of them have "field updateable" operating systems and BIOSes.

So, let's calm down about Apple.