Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Case Against Apple

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:01:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
Date: August 9, 2009 10:47:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] The Case Against Apple

At 08:21 PM 8/9/2009, you wrote:
The Case Against Apple
Jason Calacanis|Aug. 8, 2009, 6:59 PM

<Snip>

Simple solution and opportunity: Not only let the iPhone work on any
carrier, but put *two* SIM card slots on the iPhone and let users set
which applications use which services. (Your phone could be Verizon
and your browser Sprint!) Imagine having two SIM cards with 3G that
were able to bond together to perform superfast uploads and downloads
to YouTube.

If only it were that simple! The "SIM" module in a GSM cell phone is basically a combination flash and ROM memory module that provides the information the phone needs to sign on to a given cellular network. It's not a radio transceiver....that's part of the phone. Unless the two networks in question are virtual networks that actually share the same cell tower and frequencies, designing a phone to operate on two independent networks at the same time would require TWO separate radio transceivers in the phone. From practical experience building radio repeaters, I can testify that it's rather difficult to build a small box that has two transceivers operating on nearby frequencies without crosstalk and interference problems. Best case would be if you could count on the two networks being on two different bands (one on 850/900mhz and the other on 1900mhz for example.)

We'll merely ignore the small detail that Verizon Wireless and Sprint both use CDMA technology that is incompatible in every way possible with the GSM network of the present models of the iPhone.

I agree with the author that both the public AND Apple would benefit from the iPhone becoming a much more open platform, but he needs to be careful to confine his proposed solutions to the technically possible.