Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: H.R. 3458, Rep. Markey's third bill to stop telecom from mismanaging our basic infrastructure.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:48:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 25, 2009 10:51:23 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Lauren Weinstein'" <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: H.R. 3458, Rep. Markey's third bill to stop telecom from mismanaging our basic infrastructure.

I am not going to convince Brett but he is voice objections that others have so I’ll take advantage of this opportunity to respond to the larger audience. I’ve covered much of this in http://frankston.com/?n=BI (or http://rmf.vc?n=BI for the URL-challenged).

**One cannot win these arguments by pure reason – you need a demonstration. The Internet has done just that far better than we could have imaged. Yet as long as we give the existing telecom providers control over the transport these myths will fester. Worse, given that their very existence is premised on being able to add value to the network they must not accept the idea of treating bits indifferently.**

This is why it is so very important to separate the transport from the applications. You could argue that the original separation of TCP form IP was necessitated by the inability to guarantee that the transport could serve the needs of the applications. The end-to-endargument said that you can indeed create solutions at the edge of the network. You wouldn’t have been able to convince people to give up the idea of circuits without the Internet being such a powerful demonstration though Louis Pouzin did try.

(As I wrote in http://frankston.com/?name=InternetDynamic) the end-to- end constraint – the inability to depend on the network – was a powerful driver that got us past all the “obvious” assumption that you could only solved these problems if you build the features deeply into the network. At first you couldn’t reliably do voice. But we didn’t have to – there was already a voice network. Over time all it took was more capacity and voice just started work and it worked at a zero marginal cost because you couldn’t have a separate voice network. Same for video.

**This is why it is so very important to enforce neutrality – to avoid falling into the same traps. As long as we build in special hacks it’s hard to prove that the are unnecessary.**

We need to ask why people are so darned determined to build in the legacy assumptions. If we already have fine video distribution network already why must we reshape the Internet to act like a video distribution network. Just use the one we have. The fear seems to be that the Internet works so well that we can’t economically maintain a single-purpose network that is no better than one that does it all at essentially no cost.

**As to saying that customers want to buy all their services from the one place…**

If you don’t want to drive, then hire a driver or take a bus. But that is no reason to say that all transport must be owned by a railroad and that we must all buy tickets.

**As bandwidth becomes more of a commodity there is indeed no way of differentiating themselves.**

Yes, the current business model would fail in a real marketplace. This is the point the carriers themselves make inhttp://frankston.com/?Name=AssuringScarcity . So why do we try so hard to keep it going no matter what the damage?

This is why the very idea the we must use networks as if they are railroads (http://frankston.com/?n=RailRoads) doesn’t make sense anymore. We should view networking more like highways or a bit commons. This way we would all be able to create solutions and we’d get the benefits of the maximal network effect.

**The huge deficit a the reason we must stop funding the telecom industry by forcing people to pay hundreds of billions for services they can do better on their own. And we lose much money by forcing all new ideas to justify themselves to a gatekeepers artificially high prices.**

I’ve addressed the cost issues in http://frankston.com/?name=IPTelecomCosts . If bits are bits then we do we pay a premium for voice bits? I’ve compared this business model to forcing people to pay a premium to take the 59th St Bridge vs. the Queensboro in NYC. Once people realize they are the same bridge they would be outraged. Our policies are a multibillion dollar subsidy to a synthetic industry with incalculable collateral damage in our lives and our safety.

We’d get hundreds of billions of dollars, if not a trillion dollars, into the economy if we stop trying to fund a telecom industry and instead use “IP” (and other) connectivity which is just the way we use existing resources. We already have huge untapped capacity in our existing wire and fiber and our wireless paths. So let’s stop these stale and dead arguments about how much it would cost to subsidize the Internet. That’s the argument made in the 90’s when people though phone calls had to cost 10¢ a minute to reach the next town and though the Internet must be a trick.

And let’s get past the utter nonsense of a “government owned infrastructure”. That is what we have now – government giving privateers a charter for exclusive control of the public rights of way. The alternative is nonexclusive use of community resources. Even more so for wireless (http://frankston.com/?n=SpectrumDirt) which would no longer be constrained by having the government locking it down so it would be resold the private owners who, in turn, can charge us for using what costs them nothing other than the license fee and the gear they control. (http://frankston.com/?name=IPPotHoles).

**The idea that we shouldn’t guarantee particular services is one of the more subtle issues.**

This one of the reasons for antitrust – we need to create the opportunity for new ideas. We don’t know what ideas will be important. What if we had to build the web into the phone network? The reason things are confusing is that the Internet does indeed subsume telecom so we then get nervous and now want to bake in telecom emulation. Yet doing that is like baking the golden goose – no goose and no eggs. The Internet is a dynamic and that is very hard for people to comprehend. We’ve had only one or so generations of computing – the language and understanding of dynamic systems is still new. It’s more like the days of Audubon who had to kill the birds he loved because it was the only way to study them.

**But I’ll never convince Brett and others who think of the Internet as nothing more than another telephone company.**

Again, this is why we have to separate the content from the infrastructure. The Markey Bill may not be perfect but it is far better than continuing the allow basic misunderstandings keep us mired in the past. We must let specious reasoning keep us mired in the past.

PS: Where is Jon Stewart when I need him
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/21/betsy-mccaugheys-ideas-ca_n_264970.html?