Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: H.R. 3458, Rep. Markey's third bill proposing to heavily regulate and micromanage the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:30:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: August 25, 2009 5:59:34 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>, bob2-39 () bobf frankston com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: H.R. 3458, Rep. Markey's third bill proposing to heavily regulate and micromanage the Internet

At 02:09 PM 8/25/2009, Bob Frankston wrote:

I see this bill as a step towards deregulation  telecom regulations
tend to be obsessed with slicing and dicing the kinds of services and
pricing. Without being burdened with dealing with each service there
is very little regulation  just the assumption that we solve problem
by providing more capacity and that's it.

Alas, this is a false assumption. Just as it's foolhardy to assume that the computer with the most "megahertz" is the fastest, it's dangerous to assume that adding capacity will solve all problems. All the extra bandwidth in the world, for example, will not make up for long latencies, too much jitter, or too many dropped packets. Service providers must be able to sell quality of service, just as FedEx and UPS can sell expedited delivery or a trucking company can sell refrigerated transport to prevent food from spoiling. One of the most serious problems with the Markey bill is that it actually prohibits this.

The easiest way to meet the provisions of the bill is to have the
transport business completely separate from the content business.

In the real business world, this is not possible because consumers desire and expect "one stop shopping." They expect their ISPs to provide them with electronic mailboxes, Web hosting, tech support (often for their PCs, too, even though this falls entirely outside the scope of an ISP's business!), and -- in the case of mobile broadband -- mapping services, SMS, directory services, voice mail, and more.

What's more, as bandwidth becomes more and more of a commodity, these ancillary services become the providers' only means of differentiating themselves and/or innovating.

The Markey bill does have a clause that purports to prohibit tying of Internet service to the purchase of other products. This is a token provision, however, because no one has done this since the telephone companies finally agreed to allow "naked DSL." And because the clause fails to prohibit "bundling" (which both the cable companies and telcos are doing; one can expect to pay a 50% premium if you buy cable modem service without cable), there is nothing in it for the consumer.

Whether the bill passes or not it would be very useful exercise to
think about the implications of such a separation. Reduced to pure
transport it would become obvious that we have redundancy rather than
competition and we'd see rapid consolidation into a common transport

This sounds like a proposal to drive commercial ISPs out of business via complete commoditization of their products, leaving behind government owned infrastructure

While I would prefer a simpler bill that explicitly said bits are bits
and saying that we should fund infrastructure as infrastructure,

With the huge deficit and national debt (which have been such a large issue in the debates over the economic stimulus and health care reform), do we really want to fund Internet out of the public purse when private parties are already willing and able to do it?

--Brett Glass