Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: An observation about Apples claims on jamming

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 17:14:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ronald Lachman <ron () catbird com>
Date: July 31, 2009 5:47:27 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] An observation about Apples  claims on jamming

Debating the technical merits of Apple's claims is not the point. Some technicians at Apple were likely asked by the attorneys to provide technical reasons for the closed approval process.

Apple feels a need to maintain a tight control on the applications for a few reasons, the primary one being to increase the value of and further honor their business deal with AT&T and other carriers. The premise of security has a shadow of merit, but its perfectly clear if applications that enabled voice communication using the 3g data path were allowed, carriers could loose $100MM or more of revenue. Its more than 90% a business preservation strategy. Apple gets hundreds of $ of revenue for each iPhone from AT&T and other carriers over the world. If applications that threatened those revenue streams were allowed, the business deal for Apple could be threatened.

Corporations rarely defend their positions in court primarily by saying "we do this so we have better odds of making more money". Apple doesn't deny they do this to preserve their relationship with the carriers, they are merely adding additional
"technical reasons" for their position.

And despite all the debate in this list on the validity of their position, its not black and white. Like many issues, there is a grey zone. By exerting more control, and having applications go through a validation and approval process there is some
additional security provided.  (And a much stronger business model).

Free markets and Open Systems are not black and white issues either. Apple's insistence on some degree of closed model does not seem to deter tens of thousands of us to get their SDK and develop software for their platform. They are certainly not totally closed. They are certainly successful, and this close attention to balance in their business model has enabled them to invest in and create some of the slickest, highly functional and most usable platforms around. Tens of millions of us are happy to pay the highest prices on the market in each product category that Apple focuses in primary efforts in (smart phones, music
players, laptops, etc).

I have no stake in Apple, other than I love their products. I'll almost certainly want their tablet, their next iPhone, and their next macbook as well. Dave, I wouldn't be surprised if the *majority* of the clueful "IP" readership are reading your postings on an iPhone or Macintosh, simply because most of us are technology professionals and we appreciate superior, generally
better built and more secure products.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, Apple makes the worst products... Except for all the rest!

-ron