Interesting People mailing list archives

Reflecting on regulations and markets and (cyber)security

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 04:25:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: April 1, 2009 9:56:02 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Reflecting on regulations and markets and (cyber)security

I feel obliged to respond to some of the recent posts about market failures and attempts to blame “them” for cyber-security failures.

We need to be careful about confusing economists’ models with reality. It’s like confusing the Regulatorium’s term “call completion” with the normal social meaning. The former is about the other phone ringing and the latter is about having the call answered by another human. In reading about “market failure” the economists’ use of the term seems to be quaint at best. I’m not sure what is meant by “free market theory” either. They both seem to assume there are simple absolute metrics of the kind I associate with intelligent design.

In practice markets, like evolution, don’t have any particular direction or promises. And there are many ecological niches and market configurations. Let’s not confuse a few examples and simplistic models with the larger concepts. What we can do is try to understand how systems work and how they respond to constraints. It’s also important to understand the specifics of different configurations and identify our metrics.

I consider telecom to be a dysfunctional marketplaces because it creates an inherent conflict of interest in its current configuration and captures value that would create more value to society if we had a different funding model. I posted comments about Walgreens’ pricing of memory stick to show that particular inefficiencies are normal and we need to be wary about judging markets.

Markets necessarily exist within the context of governments. Jared Diamond’s books, Guns, Germs and Steel, and Collapse provide useful lessons in governance and markets. The cooperation that we associate with functioning markets are a form of governance. But governance in itself doesn’t guarantee that markets will function well according to measures like minimizing pollution. As with evolution our ability to predict results let alone assure them is very limited.

The tirade against Windows ignores realities and the basics of business. One is the question of what measure we use for “best” – adopting a platform and having a body of knowledge about how to use it is, in itself, a very positive reason for adopting a given operating system. You can’t compare the bits out of context. The second point is barriers to entry are indeed part of doing business. While I complain about telecom holding value captive, it’s a very specific example. Businesses need to capture at least some of the value of their efforts and you need a long time base for products. In fact customers complain if the update cycle for products is too fast. Stability in itself is a value.

Cyber-security isn’t a simple thing and it’s about more than the network. It’s also about social patterns and usage. There is a role for laws and regulations but I’d be very wary about assuming we can legislate a solution to complex problems.

I share some of the others’ frustrations though, as Mark Stahlman has point out Windows is not necessarily naïve. I don’t see why we would assume that Unix is necessarily more “secure”. I tend to think that improvement lies in the direction of rethinking the role of operating systems rather than choosing a “better” one. But that’s another topic.