Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Skype's iPhone App: Open-Internet Advocacy Group asks FCC to Investigate Restriction Imposed on VOiP Calls over 3G - iPhone Hacks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 18:40:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeff Porten <civitan () jeffporten com>
Date: April 5, 2009 5:59:02 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Skype's iPhone App: Open-Internet Advocacy Group asks FCC to Investigate Restriction Imposed on VOiP Calls over 3G - iPhone Hacks

My understanding is that the 3G limitation for Skype calls is lifted in the 3.0 iPhone OS X release that's slated in a few months. Like data tethering over Bluetooth, which is also in the 3.0 release, this will be subject to the terms of services of each carrier.

I've been amused to watch the business press completely miss the point of AT&T's motivations here -- everyone is focusing on how "livid" AT&T must be that the onus has been placed on them to allow this to occur. But if you want any unlimited data plan, you're starting at the not particularly cheap contract of $60 per month -- and AT&T has the capacity to charge extra for services like tethering, as they currently do with other handheld devices with a $40-$60 monthly surcharge. I don't see how the FCC has the authority to rule that AT&T must provide unlimited Skype service for free.

Meanwhile, as an early adopter of Google Voice in conjunction with a free Gizmo account, I already have effectively unlimited free service outgoing within the United States, which I can use simultaneously with any cell phone when I'm away from my laptop. That allows me to use an arbitrarily cheap cell phone service; I'm writing up a chapter for a recession-busting self-employment book which describes how a power user can drop their cell phone bills to $10-$20 per month, using a $10 prepaid handset. If AT&T is reading the same writing on the wall, they're likely to be chortling with glee that Skype will drive iPhone users to stay with far more expensive monthly plans in two-year contracts. Minute overages are only one of many ways they can keep their bottom lines flush.

Best,
Jeff Porten