Interesting People mailing list archives

DPI research project

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:07:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Colin McKay" <CMCKAY () privcom gc ca>
Date: April 5, 2009 11:12:34 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: DPI research project

Professor Farber:

As you may remember, late last summer I contacted you to ask if you had the time and inclination to prepare a short essay on the subject of deep packet inspection, preferably with some connection to the interplay between privacy, data protection and modern network technologies.

I contacted approximately thirty other experts, and a total of sixteen had the opportunity to submit an essay.

Far too many months later, the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada has published this collection online. You can find it at:

http://dpi.priv.gc.ca

The french version can be found at:

http://iap.priv.gc.ca

Links have been built into the site (on the right) to point readers to other sources, like Dr. Reed's testimony last summer.

You'll note that this site is different from most government research projects: it presents an opportunity for readers to comment, excerpt and even vote on essays that interest or frustrate them.

I also have to note that there are some final issues to resolve in terms of urls and crosslinks between the english and french versions. These will be resolved by tomorrow.

We are also in the final stages of preparing a print version of these essays: we expect to have this finished by the end of April.

Colin McKay
Director of Research, Education and Outreach
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
cmckay () privcom gc ca
office: 613.947.726