Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Truly Disturbing TSA Recording

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:32:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mark Blacknell <mb () blacknell net>
Date: April 3, 2009 10:20:37 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, <karl () cavebear com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Truly Disturbing TSA Recording

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: April 2, 2009 6:45:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Truly Disturbing TSA Recording

David Farber wrote:

"*Man detained and harassed at airport for carrying CASH!"*

Well, there's probably more to this than we are hearing.  But I was
somewhat annoyed by the TSA folks' unwillingness to say yes or now
whether the person was free to go (although by context it was pretty
clear that he was under effective arrest.)

No, what's presented there is pretty much what happened.  I know Steve
Bierfeldt (I got to know him when he was managing a local congressional
campaign that I was writing about). I'll bet that when just about anyone meets him, they're struck by two things: 1) his overt devotion to asserting his Constitutional rights (in VA, this is usually noted through the gun he wears in an open-carry manner) and 2) his almost preternatural politeness. I think both of those were on perfect display in that recording. They're also something that - in combination - really annoys those law enforcement
officers who have come to believe that they have some inherent authority
over the public that should never be questioned.   There is an enormous
chasm between my politics and Steve's, but I think he did us all a favor
here, in effectively standing up to an abuse of TSA discretion. Would that
more of us could do that.

Mark

~
Mark Blacknell