Interesting People mailing list archives

How False Rumors Can Cost Lives

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 06:22:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven J. Davidson" <davidson () pobox com>
Date: April 27, 2009 12:07:04 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: How False Rumors Can Cost Lives

Dave--for your list if appropriate.

I have said that spreading false rumors in time of epidemic costs lives. People have asked me how.
[snip]

Now consider our own universe again. We are facing a flu outbreak. It seems most likely that it started at an overcrowded pig farm in Veracruz. I estimate it has about a 40% chance of going pandemic, a 59% chance of fizzling like SARS, and a 1% chance of something else entirely. It’s in a critical stage right now; in the next month or so, it could go either way. [snip]

http://canonical.org/~kragen/costs-lives.html
Regards to you and your list. /Steve
--
Steven J. Davidson, MD, MBA, FACEP, FACPE
Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine