Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Can Hi-tech Hitchhiking Work? * 4:15PM, Wed April 22, 2009 in Gates B01

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 07:57:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>
Date: April 18, 2009 7:16:34 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Can Hi-tech Hitchhiking Work? * 4:15PM, Wed April 22, 2009 in Gates B01

Here's a peculiar data point. A few months ago my wife spent a couple of days in the hospital in La Porte, Indiana. (She received good care, all is well and the people were very nice.) When she was discharged, she needed a ride to the airport in South Bend, IN. We learned there are no taxis in La Porte. Maybe I don't spend enough time in small towns in mid-America, but this struck us as odd. The city has more than 20,000 people and seemed big enough, and the hospital was certainly comparable to a big city hospital, but somehow the city doesn't support taxi services.

The staff was very friendly, and more than one person offered a ride. Maybe that's the way they do things in the heartland.

My wife, a big city girl who'd rather pay for a ride than put someone out, called a cab from South Bend.

Steve