Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: VERIZON offers this too: Warning: AT&T's New "Spouse Stalking" Cell Service

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:00:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dylan Northrup <docx () io com>
Date: April 15, 2009 6:49:38 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] VERIZON offers this too: Warning: AT&T's New "Spouse Stalking" Cell Service

A long time ago, (15.04.09), in a galaxy far, far away, David Farber wrote:

:=Begin forwarded message:
:=
:=From: "Peter Jensen" <peter () peterjensen com>
:=Date: April 15, 2009 2:44:24 PM EDT
:=To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
:=Subject: Re: [IP] VERIZON offers this too: Warning: AT&T's New "Spouse
:=Stalking" Cell Service
:=
:=I was purchasing a new phone at a Verizon store two days ago, and
:=overheard the salesman offering this tracking (i.e. stalking) service to :=a customer. A "Parent" and "Child" phone are set up and initialized that way.

I am the parent of two Autistic children, one 9 and one 4.  I am also a
Verizon customer. When I or my wife go into public areas (malls, amusement parks, outdoor events, etc) with our children, we make sure both children
have their phones on them in case they get lost in a crowd, either by
accident or maliciously. Being able to track them has allowed my wife and I to have a greater sense of comfort bringing our children into crowded public
situations.  It also provides us with the ability to test doing things
outside their (and our) safety zone that we would otherwise not be able to
(like let our kids use the restroom in a restaurant by themselves).

This is not the only precautions we use to keep our children safe, nor is it the only way we expand their behavior outside the safety zones. But it is a very useful tool for us to use to handle the challenges of our special needs children. It is also something we were early adopters of two to three years
ago when Verizon first offered this service with the Migo phone that was
specifically targeted at young children.

This is "little brother" technology that can be used for good or for ill. And, it's just like any tool. Personally, I'm very grateful this tool is
available to me and my family.

--
Dylan Northrup - docx () io com - http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's