Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING cost of 1 gig of transport

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:14:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Stan Hanks" <stan () colventures com>
Date: April 14, 2009 7:35:05 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:   cost of 1 gig of transport

I take some exception to Larry's comment. It wasn't necessarily the towns not getting the on and off ramps due to a lack of desire, it was a matter of economics.

When we were doing the Enron build, many of the small towns "got it" and attempted to place onerous conditions on grants of right-of-way through their towns. Having grown up in a town in the middle of nowhere in Texas with a population of 2,400, I had a certain amount of sympathy for their cause -- I got what a huge advantage that would be to the town, and the people in it. And the town fathers? They "only" wanted me to be able to provide them ultra-high-speed Internet access, for free, forever.

If they had taken a position of "we'll share the cost" or "at my cost" or of "at prevailing market prices", I could have possibly sold it. What they didn't understand is exactly what that was going to cost to do... You see, you have to have optical amplifier sites every so far, and then you have to have full regeneration sites every so far. At these sites, you have the opportunity to break the signals out -- maybe. Depending on when your network was built, and what the state of the art was when your equipment went in, you might not be able to break out signals other than at full regen sites, which are far less frequent than op-amp sites.

So, in a perfect world, a small town would be at a nexus where you would naturally place a full regen. Wonderful, now all you have to do is provide core and distribution routers, monitoring and mangement servers, and all the other things that go along with having a drop on a major backbone network. OH -- and the space and HVAC and power associated with that. It gets to be multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars, pretty quick.

In a less than perfect world, in addition to that expense, you have to now break the cable in a place where you really didn't plan on doing that. And that gets really expensive really quickly -- you now need land for the regen site, plus buildings, generators, power plant, HVAC, tax title license white sidewall tires dealer prep and delivery charges. Oh -- and this new unplanned site? That just messed up the rest of your route plan because now you have to put the rest of the network spacing together around this new site which at best costs you for custom optical driver electronics for extra reach on a couple of sites, and at worst costs you TWO additional regen sites, one of the "east" leg, one on the "west" leg.

And regens are that gift that keeps on giving. In addition to the cost to acquire and build, you now have created a new taxable nexus, and have local, county, and state property taxes to deal with. Plus the fact that you now have more gear in more places which takes more spare parts and more trucks to deliver them and more guys in them to install and service them.

Those drops in small out of the way places get expensive quickly. There was one town in eastern Oregon which literally held us hostage on the matter for a long time. Eventually, when the economic analysis was done factoring in all the above mentioned items, it was determined to be significantly less expensive to acquire private right of way and bypass the town completely.

Not a win for anyone. But it's economic reality.

Stan