Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 10 easy steps to writing the scariest cyberwarfare article ever

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:02:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: April 14, 2009 9:46:55 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, abe () oyvay nu
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: 10 easy steps to writing the scariest cyberwarfare article ever

I wouldnt build it up as a doomsday but I certainly wouldnt deprecate the threat either, or dismiss it as 'cyberpranks by a political party's youth
organization'.
Estonia survived because of two things - it is a small country with a very proactive CERT and tightly knit local information security coordination, as
well as the fact that there was a RIPE meeting ongoing at Tallinn around
then ..
This effectively meant that several admins of third party networks that'd have to be contacted to mitigate the organized DDoS attacks were all there,
in the same hotel / conference rooms.  It was what I'd call a very ideal
situation for anybody looking to mitigate a DDoS headed their way.

If that happened to just about any other country in the world (scale is not
a problem - botnets can scale just about infinitely) you'd have seen an
actual disaster.

        srs

David Farber [14/04/09 18:31 -0400]:

Begin forwarded message: