Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: cost of 1 gig of transport

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:31:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Vaden <vaden () texoma net>
Date: April 14, 2009 4:52:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: cost of 1 gig of transport

For IP if you wish:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: April 14, 2009 10:57:41 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] cost of 1 gig of transport

While I feel sympathy for WISPs in rural America and their inability to
compete at scale or to generate adequate profits to reinvest in their
customers' and investors' interests, I don't quite understand why we ought to view them as special experts on the communications economics issues of
Big Cable and Big Phone in dense HFC and Fiber in urban areas.

Small towns and cities along the inter-city fiber routes did not
understand the importance of the Internet at the time they granted
rights of way, with the result that "local loop" mileage (and
therefore cost to rural operators) is _far greater than_ if on/off
ramps had been negotiated as part of the rights of way discussions.

Kind regards/ldv
Internet Texoma, Inc.