Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: cost (price!) of 1 gig GOOD POINT - and other tales of structural corruption

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:55:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: April 14, 2009 11:23:14 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>

Price for gig, byte caps and other fables…

What does it cost to run 1 Gig on my home network? Why be a piker? My price to myself is $0.0001 but I can charge you $100 if you must go through my network and I can make up the accounting to prove that is “real” (and that effort is included in the price).

Imagine if Intel charged for computing and you paid by the minute. There would be no incentive to improve performance and every incentive to sell you applications tied to their chips. Of course would only work if their “competitors” did the same thing. A 1980 CPU would be worth millions of times the value of a 2009 CPU.

What is a "market" price for bits? There is no market here – just insiders making self-serving deals. It makes no sense to talk about costs or prices until we have an effective market structure. Instead we have a system in which scarcity increases value – that’s structural corruption! (http://frankston.com/?Name=IPTelecomCosts).

Each company manages its own network and settles with other peers when transiting their network. The prices within their own networks are determined by their choice of how to account for their own resources. There is unlimited wiggle room here. The price to transit to other networks is just as arbitrary in deal making. Since they are trading they can make it as high as they want and settle it out. As noted the large players can set arbitrary prices as in the case of the ILEC/CLEC debacle. And all this justifies high prices and round and round we go.

Of course even talking about cost per bit is nonsense – caching is just one example. It also recalls the days when telegraph companies prohibited code words lest you deny them their rightful revenue by reducing the number of characters needed for the message. Is video compression cheating carriers? With byte caps the price I pay for video content varies by orders of magnitude depending on factors I don’t control and can’t even determine! Remember also that content can be cached on my PC – you don’t need Akamai.

But it gets weirder – with protocols likes SVC which can take advantage of available capacity but also scale back when necessary we’re talking about opportunistic protocols against a pricing scheme which does not permit the concept. As much as I might dislike having to game the price for airline seats I do understand why I get a lower price if I am willing to take any path available as opposed to requiring seat 1A on the 6AM BOS=>SFO.

Given that we have not had a fiber bubble collapse for a decade and there is lots of idle capacity how can we take the numbers seriously?

This is why we need fundamental reform/restructuring. If we want to increase capacity and reduce the price then we need a market for physical infrastructure that rewards increased capacity and availability. Infrastructure must not be comingled with the content or service business. To the extent such comingling seems to be required it is strong evidence that something is very wrong.

This is not wholesale/retail – that still creates value through scarcity. This is about infrastructure not services.

We have a similar problem when we talk about cutting people of from “The Internet” whatever that is. http://frankston.com/?name=TelecomPrison .