Interesting People mailing list archives

Aerial Fiber: Composite Ground Wire with Optical Fiber or Optical Ground Wire (OPGW)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 05:10:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mark Goldstein" <markg () researchedge com>
Date: April 14, 2009 1:20:55 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Aerial Fiber: Composite Ground Wire with Optical Fiber or Optical Ground Wire (OPGW)

For IP if you wish:

Actually, U.S. power companies commonly use Composite Ground Wire with
Optical Fiber or Optical Ground Wire (OPGW) cables deployed aerially along with their high voltage transmission lines. It's a ground wire sheathed with multiple fiber strands, up to 96 unique optical fibers, maybe higher. Thus incremental cost of adding on newly built transmission facilities is quite
modest and for existing infrastructure still relatively low cost as
deployment is overhead. Of course much safer sheathing a ground wire than a
high voltage line.

In the Phoenix area, Salt River Project has probably the third most deployed fiber after Qwest and Cox, the incumbent phone and cable companies. They do
bury a small amount of it where they control federal canals and the
associated right of way for those and in strategic spur extensions to on net
buildings,
but primarily deploy on all 64KV and
above distribution pathways. They have a telecom revenue center within their
enterprise to lease use of this fiber to telecom providers under Master
License Agreements as well as place vertical assets (leasing use and
backhaul) to cellular providers at over 200 locations. You can see an
overview of their fiber deployment at
http://www.srpnet.com/telecom/telecommap.aspx FYI.

They do support their own runs into most telecom COs, cable MTCs, and
regional data centers. as well as into some commercial buildings or through business parks. Additionally they will splice into the OPGW at any of their transmission towers and run down the tower to a small vault at the base for handoff, but getting ROW and fiber paths to the point of delivery from there
can still be challenging.

A number of such OPGW cables can be seen on one manufacturers site at
http://www.afltele.com/products/fiber_optic_cable/opgw_cable/ index.html FYI.

Best Regards,
Mark Goldstein, President
International Research Center
Voice & Fax: 602-470-0389, Skype: mark.goldstein
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/markgoldstein
E-Mail: markg () researchedge com, IRC: http://www.researchedge.com/
Harnessing Global Information Resources for Informed Decision Making