Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Thousands cut off from phone service -- vandals

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:13:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Pistritto <jcp () jcphome com>
Date: April 10, 2009 3:16:16 PM EDT
To: Mark Harrison <mh () pixar com>
Cc: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Thousands cut off from phone service  -- vandals

I was told at the time that scrappers were paying > $1/pound for copper. (the spot price was much higher than that then.)
i found a historical price chart here:
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical_large.html

Note that 00 cable (I'm pretty sure thats what was stolen, i know thats what we replaced it with, after we, uh, implemented some security measures to make it a bit harder to walk off with next time), is only about 2.5 feet per pound of wire. Thats a pretty common industrial gauge. (its probably what comes into your house.)

So steal a few hundred feet one morning, make a couple hundred bucks for a couple hours work? Not a bad trade.

The funny thing is these guys are dumb. So they also stole the *hard line* that connects the antennas on the tower to the radios (in the blockhouse)at the base of the tower. That stuff is heavy, but mostly these days, its copper sheathed alumninum (although we had a run of the old style copper solid core hardline stolen too).

Cutting that is of course, an enormous pain the butt, because we then have to go find a new 100' run of 7/8ths or 1/2 inch Heliax(TM) to run up the tower, terminate it, mount it on the tower, blah blah.

I spent several weekend days with a group from our radio club restoring the power lines (both of them) into the facility we use, as well as helping our tower climber member replace antenna runs that had been cut off 20' from the ground (which was the highest the theives could reach).

We were very much not amused at the time.

 -jcp-