Interesting People mailing list archives

From Declan DO READ OK-- who is saying what. Either Declan is mis-reporting or Tony is wrong or both are partilaly right or wrong.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:36:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: September 12, 2008 7:45:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Jacob Appelbaum <jacob () appelbaum net>
Subject: Re: [IP] OK-- who is saying what. Either Declan is mis- reporting or Tony is wrong or both are partilaly right or wrong.

Dave,

Before writing my article, I spent a few days talking to Tony, Steve, the ITU, and other folks involved. Here's what I found:

* The ITU's Q6/17 group is meeting next week in Geneva with an eye to having a final document finished sometime in 2009 (though one editor told me it might take longer). The proceedings are not open to the public -- I applied to attend and was rejected -- and relatively few documents are public.

* China's proposal submitted in April says the "IP traceback mechanism is required to be adapted to various network environments, such as different addressing (IPv4 and IPv6), different access methods (wire and wireless) and different access technologies (ADSL, cable, Ethernet) and etc." It adds: "To ensure traceability, essential information of the originator should be logged." See:
http://politechbot.com/docs/itu.china.internet.traceback.proposal.091108.doc

* An ITU network security meeting a few years ago concluded that anonymity should not be permitted. The summary said: "Anonymity was considered as an important problem on the Internet (may lead to criminality). Privacy is required but we should make sure that it is provided by pseudonymity rather than anonymity." See:
http://www.itu.int/itunews/issue/2002/06/discussion.html

* An ITU presentation in July from Korea said that groups such as the IETF should be "required to develop standards or guidelines" that could "facilitate tracing the source of an attacker including IP-level traceback, application-level traceback, user-level traceback." Another Korean proposal -- which has not been made public -- says all Internet providers "should have procedures to assist in the lawful traceback of security incidents." See:
http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/oth/21/04/T21040000020095PPTE.ppt

There are two issues in dispute. The first is the purpose of the IP traceback initiative, especially given that China proposed it, that the NSA is involved (although perhaps in its infosec role), and taht some participants want to ban anonymity. On the other hand, when you have multiple parties participating in such a process, not everyone is likely to see eye-to-eye, and I'm told that that is the case here.

The second issue is whether or not the ITU document -- that Steve Bellovin says he obtained as part of a ZIP file, and then confirmed its authenticity via an independent source -- is authentic. Tony says he has never seen it. Steve says it is nevertheless legitimate. If the ITU made the Q6/17 portion of its Web archive public, we might be able to answer that for ourselves, but unfortunately it has chosen not to. The disputed document is here:
http://politechbot.com/docs/itu.traceback.use.cases.requirements.091108.txt

I admit that not everything is clear. But many things in the world fall into that category, and journalists try to report on them nevertheless, adding the proper caveats as necessary. See:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10040152-38.html

-Declan

David Farber wrote:
A United Nations agency is quietly drafting technical standards, proposed by the Chinese government, to define methods of tracing the original source of Internet communications and potentially curbing the ability of users to remain anonymous. The U.S. National Security Agency is also participating in the "IP Traceback" drafting group, named Q6/17, which is meeting next week in Geneva to work on the traceback proposal. Members of Q6/17 have declined to release key documents, and meetings are closed to the public. The potential for eroding Internet users' right to remain anonymous, which is protected by law in the United States and recognized in international law by groups such as the Council of Europe, has alarmed some technologists and privacy advocates. Also affected may be services such as the Tor anonymizing network. "What's distressing is that it doesn't appear that there's been any real consideration of how this type of capability could be misused," said Marc Rotenberg, director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington, D.C. "That's really a human rights concern." U.N. agency eyes curbs on Internet anonymity | Politics and Law - CNET News