Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: a correction Congress asks phone companies: Why are text prices rising?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:16:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 11, 2008 1:15:01 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: a correction Congress asks phone companies: Why are text prices rising?

Back in 1966 my first full time job was on Wall St at White Weld helping to develop an online information services for stock analysts. What struck me back then was how little information there was in numbers like EPS (Earnings per Share) and how much money was being bet, I mean invested, based on those numbers. At least in those days the backrooms on Wall St were still largely manual operations.

What I realized is that while there are people who are indeed making investments in companies much of the activity is playing in a market in which you are gaming other bettors, oops, I mean day traders. You can’t afford to be the second to press the buzzer when then headline comes across the screen and thanks to Bloomberg and others the headlines whip by very fast indeed and a typo is like a bump in the highway while you are doing 500kph.

At least in betting on Wall St, aside the commissions, inside traders, rumor mongers et al, you aren’t betting against the house and you may even win for a while and thus convince yourself you have the touch.

Ideally some real investing will also happen.

I don’t have a simple answer – just an observation.