Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Unboxed - When Academia Puts Profit Ahead of Wonder - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 18:44:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Press <lpress () csudh edu>
Date: September 9, 2008 4:34:35 PM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Unboxed - When Academia Puts Profit Ahead of Wonder - NYTimes.com

Today's military funding is very
different from the way Project MAC was supported back in the 60s: we
had hundreds of folks, working without detailed direction from
Washington, and we wrote one progress report a year.  More
importantly, military research is now much less interested in long-
term projects: they want results that will help the current wars.

I was at the System Development Corporation Research Directorate in those days, using the Q-32 TSS for AI, and there were anti-war posters on walls as well as "loose lips sink ships" posters. I refused to pay income tax or to apply for security clearance, but that did not seem to bother anyone. If I had to go into a restricted area, a secretary escorted me without fuss, and the payroll department cheerfully garnisheed my pay on behalf of the IRS, again, without comment.

I had an aunt who used to berate me for working for ARPA, but I rationalized that the stuff I was doing seemed far from application at the time. In retrospect, those "concept formation" and "induction" systems were what they call "data mining" today.

Larry