Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Morris Worm - 20th anniversary

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:09:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Johnson <fuhn () pobox com>
Date: September 7, 2008 1:11:43 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Morris Worm - 20th anniversary

Well, MOST of the Internet was eaten. Many of the corporations and academic institutions fortunate enough to be connected to the Internet via CSnet were saved from the effects of the worm by quick thinking and acting network management staff at BBN.

I was responsible for Intel's Internet connectivity (via CSnet) back then. Our link was taken down by network staff and stayed down until the danger passed.

Is that kind of network management possible and available in today's Internet?

        Suzanne

Begin forwarded message: