Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: DO READ Quickie Privacy Analysis of Google's New "Chrome" Web Browser

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:59:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Fields <ip20398470293845 () aquick org>
Date: September 3, 2008 4:17:29 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Quickie Privacy Analysis of Google's New "Chrome" Web Browser

For IP, if you wish:

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 11:32:37AM -0400, David Farber wrote:
[...]
What about the EULA: <http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html>?  (Some
parts appended below.)
[...]

By the way - I don't think anyone else has mentioned that the EULA not
only applies to content you _submit_ with it, but also to content you
_view_ with it.

'In short, when you view a web page with Chrome, you affirm to Google
that you have the right to grant Google an irrevocable license to use
it to "display, distribute and promote the Services", including making
such content available to others. If you don't have that legal
authority over every web page you've visited, you've just fraudulently
granted that license to Google and may yourself be liable to the
actual copyright owner. (If you do, of course, you've just granted
them that license for real.) I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that
Google has either committed mass inducement to fraud or the entire
EULA (which lacks a severability clause) is impossible to obey and
therefore void.'

http://www.aquick.org/blog/2008/09/03/the-google-chrome-terms-of-service-are-hilarious/

--
                                - Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.morningside-analytics.com ] .. Latest Venture
[ http://www.confabb.com ] ................ Founder