Interesting People mailing list archives

Hi Def Video via DSLRs driving bandwidth demand

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:32:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jock Gill <jg45 () me com>
Date: September 23, 2008 7:17:21 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Jock Gill <jg45 () me com>
Subject: Hi Def Video via DSLRs driving bandwidth demand

Dave,

For IP if you wish.

I am wondering what happens to the business models of the Cablecos and Telcos when they are confronted with literally millions of consumer cameras that produce Hi Def TV files? These cameras are expected to be "game changing" in the digital photography world, but I expect that they are also "game changing" when it comes to bandwidth demand/ consumption, citizens news reporting, and so forth. At least two new cameras have this capability already: 1] the Nikon D90 and 2] the Canon 5D mark II.

See, for example, this early experiment with Hi Def video made with Canon's new 5D Mark II, a cameras costing less than $3,000.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/22/without-further-ado-reverie/

How you gonna keep the bits down on the farm once these toys, er tools, are widely diffused into the consumer base? Will business models based upon throttling bandwidth demand actually work? I don't think so. If not, then what?

Cheers,

Jock

Jock Gill
Peacham, VT