Interesting People mailing list archives

Perspective

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:30:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dave Wilson" <dave () wilson net>
Date: September 23, 2008 9:15:27 AM EDT
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Perspective

So, some friends of mine and I put various friendly economic wagers in play a few years ago, with my bet being that the National Debt would hit $10 trillion before Jan. 20, 2009. I was sitting pretty just a couple of weeks ago, with the debt over $9.7 trillion and another quarter to go. (You can check out the debt here: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np ) Whoohooo: I won me a Coke for sure.

But I just checked that number and realized that the bailout is, all by itself, going to increase the National Debt by about seven percent.