Interesting People mailing list archives

An interesting interchange between Esbin and approve:ocean Reed -- god reading

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:12:25 -0400

Barbara piece at end as text.

The David she refers to is Reid.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 18, 2008 11:01:08 AM EDT
To: Barbara Esbin <BEsbin () pff org>
Cc: dave () farber net, Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Does Disclosure Trump Net Blocking? relates to AA blocking of VOIP by Barbara Esbin

By all means, please have Dave post your message! Despite Brett's attempt to claim I am making ad hominem arguments, I take your arguments if anythings more seriously than you meant them (lightheartedly?).

The FCC is clearly the wrong place to regulate cellphone *behavior* - that is not its bailiwick. It is the right place to discuss spectrum use rules concerning systems integrity of the ground-based cellular system due to in-flight use of phones. The sole purpose of the FCC cellphone rules is related to technical systems disruptions that are possible: 1) to ground-based networks, 2) to inflight control systems (the latter are actually FAA concerns, primarily, since its mission is safety equipment).

I reject yours and PFF's attempts to conflate the cellphone regulations that the FCC does make with "network, management" rules that the FCC makes under an entirely different ambit, by means of some dodging and weaving regarding "seatmate behavior" and "air rage". That's not clear thinking - it's ridiculous.

Regarding PFF's "independent" status - I have no opinion. I do know that the organization's reference to "Progress" and "Freedom" does not match any definition of progress or freedom that I ascribe to. Apparently Progress means whatever large companies decide to do, and Freedom means freedom for corporate persons from restraint, but not freedom for individual human beings from arbitrary corporate control. But that *is* my opinion only. That focus on corporate "freedom" does seem to color PFF's employees' opinions, perhaps because that's whom they hire.

Barbara Esbin wrote:
David:
I wrote the attached response following your original post concerning my
piece on the Aircell VoIP issue.  I hope that you will consider the
points that I raise and that we can debate these issues in an open and
civil manner.  I have debated posting my response, but decided to send
it directly to you.  If you are comfortable having Dave post it to the
list, by all means let him know that; Brett is included in the "cc" list
because of his obvious interest in the matter.  Barbara