Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Does Disclosure Trump Net Blocking? relates to AA blocking of VOIP by Barbara Esbin

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:01:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 17, 2008 7:33:32 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Does Disclosure Trump Net Blocking? relates to AA blocking of VOIP by Barbara Esbin

Esbin's argument seems to be an argument based on a false premise. There is no problem blocking use of telephony in the aircraft by merely enforcing a rule that bans telephone use in the aircraft. Coupling this with PFF's well-known funding sources (dominated by telecom operators, in particular), this argument smells.

What the argument really is is a camel sticking it's nose in the tent, creating a faux issue in the airline internet sphere, getting cranky and sniffy about a regulator adjudicating, and creating the impression that the two are related

Consider another fact not made clear by Esbin - that one cannot do reliable VoIP blocking, since such a service doesn't actually exist as a technology (ssh tunnelling your VoIP connection can be done with one command today, and I will be happy to post instructions for Windows, Mac, Linux on how to do it if you doubt me).

Clearly the Big Lie game is being played here by this "think" tank.