Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Govt has right to block testing for mad cow disease, court rules

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:10:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven J. Davidson" <davidson () pobox com>
Date: September 1, 2008 3:55:36 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Govt has right to block testing for mad cow disease, court rules

Jerry’s argument is precisely why the medical profession ignores Bayes Theorem, ignoring what Valdis Kletnieks calls, “base rate fallacy" and testing everything in sight and then further testing all of the false positives— though its people rather than cows. No federal agency to prevent we physicians from doing so and the plaintiffs’ attorneys seeking any occasion when applying professional judgment eventuated in a bad result spurring us on.

So for now we’ll test until the money runs out as we’re doing in medicine—perhaps we should as well for beef? Or subscribe to Michael Pollan’s recommendations.

Excuse me, it’s time to fire up the grill for my grass-fed free range steak from the farmer I spoke to face-to-face last Tuesday evening.

Regards to you and your list./Steve
--
Steven J. Davidson, MD, MBA, Chair, Emerg. Med. | Maimonides Med. Ctr.
4802 Tenth Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11219 | 718.283.6030/6042 voice/fax