Interesting People mailing list archives

Verizon Wireless Plans to Charge Senders of Text Messages - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:29:23 -0400

Maybe it is time to stop this rip-off on SMS messages.  djf

October 11, 2008
Verizon Wireless Plans to Charge Companies Sending Text Messages
By SAUL HANSELL
Verizon Wireless this week told companies that send out text messages that starting Nov. 1 it will impose a fee of 3 cents for each message it delivers to the phones of its subscribers.

That fee is in addition to the fee of as much as 20 cents that those subscribers pay Verizon to receive the same message.

Text messages have become a popular way for companies to send bits of information to customers — sports scores, flight delays, bank balances or the latest updates from a social network.

The charge by Verizon Wireless, the nation’s second-largest cellphone service provider after AT&T, may prompt companies that have been working to tap into the texting boom to rethink their strategies. Many may simply stop sending messages to Verizon customers.

Steve Livingston, the director of marketing for mBlox, which processes text messages for companies including News Corporation’s MySpace social network and The New York Times, said the volume of messages it handles could fall by more than half.

“Alert services and social networks don’t work at three cents,” he said.

Jeffrey Nelson, a spokesman for Verizon, said the company was exploring ways to charge fees to commercial senders of text messages to add a new revenue stream to its wireless business.

“It is not a free service,” he said. “It didn’t cost us zero to build or to buy spectrum rights. What we do is we monetize those assets. It is why we created them.”

But Mr. Nelson said the company had not set any specific price for delivery of text messages or a date that any fee might go into effect. “There is nothing imminent, November first or any other date,” he said.

Mr. Livingston and Zaw Thet, the chief executive of 4Info, a company that sends messages on behalf of Yahoo and USA Today, said Verizon had sent them information that was much more specific than what Mr. Nelson described.

“We received a formal notification of a rate change,” Mr. Livingston said, adding that the short time frame would be disruptive for mBlox’s customers.

“We have a lot of companies that have been working on their fall marketing campaigns,” he said.

News of Verizon’s plans was first reported by the trade publication RCR Wireless News.

Both Mr. Livingston and Mr. Thet said Verizon was discussing alternative pricing schemes with big senders of text messages. And they said that some payment to the wireless carriers was appropriate, given the growth of text-message advertising.

“We want to find a way not just to create a toll but build the overall market together,” Mr. Thet said. “But in the short term, it means we will not be able to send content to Verizon customers.”

        • World
        • U.S.
        • N.Y. / Region
        • Business
        • Technology
        • Science
        • Health
        • Sports
        • Opinion
        • Arts
        • Style
        • Travel
        • Jobs
        • Real Estate
        • Automobiles
        • Back to Top
Copyright 2008The New York Times Company
        • Privacy Policy
        • Corrections
        • RSS
        • First Look