Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Educator requested to remove her profile on Facebook by employer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:49:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Art Wolinsky <awolinsky () 3dwriting com>
Date: October 7, 2008 8:37:38 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Educator requested to remove her profile on Facebook by employer

The only thing wrong that teacher did is to choose the wrong district in which to teach. While there is precedent for firing educators based on the content of their social networking profiles or online actions, there are no grounds for any kind of action for simply having a profile, especially in the absence of any policy. Even if there was policy, it would probably not stand a legal challenge. I know as an association officer for many years, I would challenge any such policy before it even had a second reading.

Contrast the stone age attitude of this school's administration with that of the Philadelphia's Science Leadership Academy where teachers are encouraged to use social networking and friend their students. Even the National School Boards Association recognizes that social networks are important educational tools and encourage schools to use them in educational pursuits.

If the administrator acts this way based on a parental complaint, I can't wait to see the reaction when one of his students puts up a fake profile mocking him.

Art

Art Wolinsky
OEO 3DWriting.com
Technology Director - Online Internet Institute
Educational Technology Director - WiredSafety.org
awolinsky () 3dwriting com
(609) 698-8223 (Home Office)
(609) 618-4433 (Cell)

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
I will surely learn a great deal today.