Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 2004: The FED Reserve creates NEWBANK in event of banking failure (for IP)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 18:20:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tobin Maginnis <ptm () pix cs olemiss edu>
Date: October 4, 2008 2:58:03 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] 2004: The FED Reserve creates NEWBANK in event of banking failure (for IP)

As you may know, there are only two banks that act as a clearing house for US Treasuries, J.P. Morgan Chase and the Bank of New York (BONY).

As you may also know, several Bank of New York executives moved $7.5 billion from Russia to accounts at the Bank via unlicensed wire transfers during the 1990s. In late 2005, The Bank of New York agreed to pay $38 million in fines as part of a non-prosecution agreement that the Bank signed with the U.S. Department of Justice. In this agreement BONY acknowledged its guilt and as a result, the Russian Federal Customs Service is now suing The Bank of New York over an illegal money laundering scheme, using the US's RICO act, which allows tripling the $7.5 billion to $22.5 billion.
http://www.russianbanksuit.com/

There is also significant concern that if this judgment where to be assessed, that BONY would crumble. We also know that J.P. Morgan Chase hopes to shore up it's balance sheet with FDIC insured WaMu deposits. If either of these banks stumble: "The combination of the capital, liquidity, and reputational risk factors for such a huge private bank that is so important to the national and international financial
markets suggest that ... it could result in a systemic event."
http://www.russianbanksuit.com/Ken_Thomas_letter_to_Ben_Bernankere_re_BONY.pdf

In other words, I suspect we will see a lot more of the Fed's private NewBank as The Federal Reserve uses its new found wealth to concentrate more of the government's financial power into private hands.

Regards,
Tobin Maginnis
Begin forwarded message: