Interesting People mailing list archives

retro-spective (on the current Internet trajectory) and moving on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:56:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 29, 2008 4:34:50 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "David Meyer" <dmm () 1-4-5 net>, <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: retro-spective (on the current Internet trajectory) and moving on

It all depends on what you mean by “The Internet”. If you mean the current implementation then, yes, it is hitting a wall. But if you mean the end-to-end architecture then I would argue just the opposite – it’s now time to move to an end-to-end approach in which the relationships are entirely outside the network instead of within a temporary wrapper we call “The Internet”. What is a “carrier grade NAT” if we are doing our own networking and don’t rely on carriers?

For me the take-away is that it’s been over 25 years and it’s time we move on. We need to learn from the postal services which have been routing for 2500 years (give a take a thousand or so). If we separate the IP address into physical path/address and application-defined handle then we can take advantage of the relative stability of the physical infrastructure and shift the responsibility for maintaining end-to-end relationships to the applications – just as the post office does now.

We need to get off the train before we run out of track and start take responsibility for doing our own networking. I would argue that the point of the Internet architecture is that you solve problems at the edge rather than relying on carriers and operators.

I’ve sketched out some ideas in essays and as I’ve written that we need more research in using connectivity rather than in the network itself. Even if we weren’t facing the wall for IP we’re still not taking advantage of the common infrastructure but instead are still building a dedicated infrastructure for each application and service! It’s not just the redundancy of “broadband” but they very idea that cities have dedicated municipal networks and we have Wi-Fi networks and cellular networks and G-rated networks and safety-only networks and we still control our buildings and homes using wired logic. It is indeed to time to get our heads out of the networks and look around at what we can be doing with networking.