Interesting People mailing list archives

Beware: T-Mobile's Voicemail Paging Trap

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:57:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeremy Bornstein <jeremy () jeremy org>
Date: October 26, 2008 5:19:32 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Beware: T-Mobile's Voicemail Paging Trap

The reason for this is obvious, right?  The more things they get to
say before you can (easily) leave a message, the more airtime they can
charge you for.  The customer-friendly thing to do would be to play
the customer's voicemail greeting immediately, followed by a beep.  Of
course hardly anybody does that now, because that would be a clear
failure to fully monetize customer interactions.

-Jeremy