Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 Launches, More Speed @ Same Price

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 05:47:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Simon Li" <simonli () gmail com>
Date: October 23, 2008 2:49:44 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 Launches, More Speed @ Same Price

Dr. Farber,

While having more bandwidth for the same price is probably a good thing from a consumer standpoint, could this change browsing/ downloading habits enough that it would allow users to reach the 250GB cap much faster?

On their FAQ, they claim that 99% of the users have not exceeded this cap so far, but as discussed in previous threads here, that is likely going to change, pretty quickly. Is Comcast prepared to raise the cap if people actually *use* this bandwidth, or might there be some kind of creep back to the rumored metered access?

-Simon