Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Cui bono..? Re: Europeans warned that 'Network neutrality' could raise broadband prices

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:47:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: October 21, 2008 7:11:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: Cui bono..? Re: [IP] Europeans warned that 'Network neutrality' could raise broadband prices

Everyone:

Ad hominem arguments against the publishers of the reports mentioned in this thread do not affect their validity. And valid they are.... As I, as an ISP, can attest, policies which prohibit network management and optimization would indeed raise our costs substantially. In fact, even if we invested much more money in expensive infrastructure and backbone bandwidth (which is especially dear in our area), we would still likely fail to maintain good quality of service. Why? Because -- as experience in Japan has shown -- the appetite of P2P for bandwidth is essentially insatiable. What's more, longstanding flaws in the TCP/ IP protocol suite allow applications such as BitTorrent to seize priority over time-critical traffic, causing jitter on VoIP calls and annoying pauses in streaming video.

Who benefits if network engineers are allowed to do their jobs, network designers are allowed to innovate and broadband providers are allowed to compete on the basis of the quality of their customers' experience? Everyone... except for the bandwidth hogs and pirates.

For more, see

http://blog.quintarelli.it/blog/files/network_management_coalition_stmt__031008_final_.pdf

and also

http://www.brettglass.com/principles.pdf