Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Multiverse Model

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 03:14:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Alberti <alberti () sanction net>
Date: November 15, 2008 2:35:51 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Multiverse Model

The only problem is in the human inability to truly perceive concepts
like "infinity." Individual universes split off for every possible
quantum state of every particle in the universe. The resulting number of
universes is merely infinite, which is already a characteristic of the
universe.

If we take a step back from the overwhelming concept of individual
universes splitting off for every possible state of every particle, we
end up with a gigantic meta-verse or multiverse.  Within this multiverse
of all universes is every possible thing that could ever happen
anywhere, ever. Which again brings us back to the initial concept of
what the universe is supposed to be in the first place.

The idea of individual universes in the multiverse "splitting off" is
only one expression based on our frame of reference within the universe.
Initially, the idea of whole universes being "created" from nothing at
every instant looks like it impossibly violates the laws of conservation
of energy. The other way of looking at the multiverse is that all those
universes already exist, and are already in place, created by the Big
Bang, and all that is happening is that by observing an event, we
ourselves are simply proceeding up one or another (actually every)
possible universe.  The reason that an event, observed, seems to
"collapse" into a single state is because we ourselves, our
consciousness, our frame of reference, splits to perceive every state
individually, and proceeds forwards with the perception of individual
frames of reference.  The states, the universes, are already there, only
our perception of them changes.

Finally, if we return for a second to the concept of the multiverse as
the collection of every event that could ever possibly happen anywhere,
it's easy to visualize such a thing as a solid sphere, at the center of
which is the Big Bang, and the surface of which signifies the end of
every branching universe.  The question then is, how big is this solid?
The answer is, there is nothing outside of the Universe, so there is
literally nothing against which to measure it.  It is simultaneously
tiny, and then also very large.

The point being, that sizeless sphere IS the Big Bang: a static solid
containing all potential events.  Remember, outside of the universe
there IS no time, no measure.  What we perceive as the "detonation" of
the Big Bang, and the eventual progress of the universe towards its end
are all measured by the passage of time.  But time is simply our frame
of reference for our progress from state to state in our Universe.  The
Multiverse itself is a timeless solid consisting of every possible
thing, and our perception of it as changing is merely a product of our
frame of reference within this solid.

I hope this makes some kind of sense, insofar as it's 1:30 a.m. here
which, while an appropriate time for such a topic as this, is not
conducive to clear communications.