Interesting People mailing list archives

Full disclosure? Not always

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:08:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: November 12, 2008 3:32:17 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Full disclosure? Not always

Scott Cleland, who works for the telecom industry, writes in his blog and on IP: "Anyone who follows my work knows that I fully disclose that I work for the broadband industry as Chairman of www.NetCompetition.org ."

He didn't disclose it in this long comment -- http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/20071021/free-my-phone/#comment-254 -- on Walt Mossberg's blog a year ago. In that comment Cleland tried to rebut Walt's reasonable wish that the telecom industry adopt an ecosystem model more like the PC/Internet one (at least the Internet one of the past, not the restrictive one the "broadband" carriers are trying to impose).

I only remember this because I posted a comment in that thread noting Cleland's omission.

Dan