Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: I dont know how to title this but on net-netrality, google and the world may fit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:17:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: November 12, 2008 12:53:59 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: I dont know how to title this but on net- netrality, google and the world may fit

David Reed writes:

But Clelend's arguments are disingenuous, because he presents them to contrast Google to first-mile access providers, who are the major funders of NetCompetition, who have both *got* monopolies (government granted)

The above is simply not correct. My company is a "first mile" access provider, and we do not have a monopoly nor are we asking the government for one. While the government seems intent upon making it impossible for us to compete by denying us reasonable access to radio spectrum and by allowing the telephone and cable companies to engage in anticompetitive practices with impunity (witness the Trinko case), we are surviving and growing nonetheless. (Even in our small city of 28,000 people, we add several customers a week.)

Alas, advocates of Internet regulation (which has been given the misleading name "network neutrality") usually found their arguments on the false premise that there is no broadband competition. Repeating this false assertion does not make it so. In fact, there is very aggressive and vibrant competition from companies such as my own. And there would likely be more if proponents of Internet regulation did not deny our existence -- in some cases, in testimony before government bodies such as Congress and the FCC -- and thus harm our businesses.

and have tried *use* their monopoly position to block traffic and limit customer choices in many ways by blocking Internet traffic, examining its content, and so forth.

Neither our ISP nor any other of which I am aware blocks traffic unless it violates the agreement between the ISP and the customer. We do not monitor traffic except for the purposes of network maintenance and/or detecting violations of our terms of service.

So I could ask here: does Cleland want to make a statement about the dangers of local access monopolies? A lawyer cross-examining his "testimony" would require him to explain how inspection of traffic by local access monopolies is different than that of Google.

Again, local access is not a monopoly. I and my more than 4,000 colleagues (in the US alone) put the lie to this assertion. And our automatic monitoring of traffic (it is not "inspection" by a human being) is done solely to assure quality of service and to detect network abuse. Google, by contrast, truly is a monopoly. And it monitors users' search queries AND THEIR E-MAIL so as to build up dossiers on them and target advertising to them. Clearly, this is far more intrusive.

In short, we see in Mr. Reed's message a number of false and inflammatory statements which seek to advance the goal of imposing regulation upon the Internet -- a medium which has flourished primarily due to the absence of overbearing regulation. Regulation of the Internet should be limited strictly to prohibitions on anticompetitive conduct and/or monopoly maintenance where it does occur -- including the Google/Yahoo deal and refusal to deal or price gouging by Internet backbone providers (which harms last mile competition).

--Brett Glass