Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: An Unrepentant Google Basically Taunts DOJ/State AGs to File an Antitrust Suit in the Future | The Precursor Blog by Scott Cleland

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:46:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dana Blankenhorn <dana () a-clue com>
Date: November 10, 2008 2:59:07 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] An Unrepentant Google Basically Taunts DOJ/State AGs to File an Antitrust Suit in the Future | The Precursor Blog by Scott Cleland

I find it amusing when monopolists accuse other companies of being monopolists. http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3072

If I had any nostalgia for the Bush years this would certainly trigger it.

excerpt:

The monopolists want to maintain pricing power, and offer to bring the content industries along for the ride, to give them a taste. Google, meanwhile, still sees itself as designing a rocket, caring little for where it comes down <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro>. That’s the user’s decision.

What Google, and all of us, most need to do is work that problem, finding business models through which content owners can profit while the end-to-end integrity of the search-and-find Internet is preserved.

--
Dana Blankenhorn                http://www.danablankenhorn.com
Voic.Us                 http://www.voic.us