Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: James McGrath Morris - Spam Filters Threaten Free Speech on the Internet - washington post

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:04:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Ezor <jezor () tourolaw edu>
Date: November 30, 2008 3:17:26 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: James McGrath Morris - Spam Filters Threaten Free Speech on the Internet - washington post

Without disrespect to Mr. Peterson (and with full understanding that I'm once again dipping my toe into dangerous waters), I strongly would disagree with
at least one thing he wrote:

" NO legitimate, reasonable sender will send HTML-burdened E-mail to a new recipient without first determining that they are willing and able to handle
such mail."

This is simply untrue, because it begins with the assumption that most e-mail senders even can distinguish between HTML and non-HTML e-mail. Certainly,
his (possibly mythical) Aunt Gertrude and my (quite real) Aunt Gertrude
probably can't, nor might they even know they're sending HTML e-mail even if they understand the difference, particularly if they're using a Web- based or
handholding e-mail client.

As to the article which prompted the discussion, I found most interesting not the piece itself but the comments, especially those that point out how many
ISPs don't give their users a chance to fine-tune spam
blocking/filtering/labeling methods. This reality puts in doubt the argument that the recipients can choose what they wish to receive (or not), since that
assumes the recipients have control over the process.

As technically savvy folks, we should not forget that we are not typical, even of heavy e-mail users, in our understanding of the mechanics of e- mail. The vast majority simply type, click send, and assume that their messages are
(a) sent and (b) received without interference.  {ProfJonathan}
Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
Assistant Professor of Law and Technology
Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
Touro Law Center
225 Eastview Drive, Central Islip, NY  11722
Direct: 631-761-7119  Fax: 516-977-3001
e-mail: jezor () tourolaw edu
Skype: jonathanezor     Twitter: profjonathan