Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Spam Filters Threaten Free Speech on the Internet - washington post

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:06:31 -0500

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: November 30, 2008 9:51:54 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: James McGrath Morris - Spam Filters Threaten Free Speech on the Internet - washington post

Dave,

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I often am!) but isn't the First Amendment about rights vis-a-vis the GOVT. and not between private individuals?...

Rahul

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David S. Barkley" <dbarkley () nsimonco com>
Date: November 30, 2008 1:31:08 PM EST
To: dave () farber net

Mr. Kulawiec's comments miss the point, I believe.

"His problem lies with his own choices."
I doubt that his mailing service was making the decision. Rather they were advising him about how to get past the Spam filters that are in place elsewhere. There is software that can test mailings to get a "Spam Index". The "one rule fits all" mentalilty of such filters leads to some amusing/disturbing limitations on what can make it past the filters (as Mr. Kulawiec demonstrated quite well).

"The author has conflated his free speech right (as guaranteed under the Constitution) with an obligation of others to listen." The "others" aren't the ones making the decisions. While most end users have the ability to filter the mail they get based on some criteria, there is a great deal of mail they don't get because of filtering mechanisms over which they have no control. These pre- filters work quite well, if you don't mind losing 1 in a 1000 legitimate emails.

Dave  Barkley