Interesting People mailing list archives

Its a different kind of Black Friday at Apple today

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:07:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Thompson <jim () netgate com>
Date: November 28, 2008 9:02:16 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Its a different kind of Black Friday at Apple today

http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com/2008/11/linux-on-iphone.html

---

What we have:

- Framebuffer driver
- Serial driver
- Serial over USB driver
- Interrupts, MMU, clock, etc.

What we have in openiboot (but hasn't been ported yet):

- Read-only support for the NAND

What we don't have (yet!):

- Write support for the NAND
- Wireless networking
- Touchscreen
- Sound
- Accelerometer
- Baseband support

The current userland we're using, in the interest of expedience, is a Busybox installation created with buildroot, but glibc works fine as well, and we're going to build a more permanent userland solution.
---

The only difficult one of those IMO is the "baseband support", and even this will fall with time. The others are entirely straight- forward, and some, like write support for the NAND and 802.11/ bluetooth will be straight-forward in the extreme. (Especially now that Atheros has allowed Sam Leffler to open the code for the original HAL (posted yesterday). (The iPhone/iPod OS uses Sam's 802.11 driver for Atheros on FreeBSD.)

I'd have predicted that some small team at Google was spending their 20% "free time" making Android appear on the iPhone, but... well, thats just my old ways rising to the surface again.

Jim