Interesting People mailing list archives

Learning from twitter in Mumbai

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:35:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () oreilly com>
Date: November 26, 2008 7:47:11 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Learning from twitter in Mumbai

Good piece by W. David Stephenson:

http://stephensonstrategies.com/2008/11/26/us-officials-must-monitor-learn-from-use-of-web-20-in-mumbai/

Once again, the first news of the Mumbai attacks came not through the media, but through Twitter. India is extremely sophisticated in use of mobile devices, probably more so than is the case in the US, and many Indians are active users of Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, and other mobile social networks. It’s imperative that US officials closely track how Indians are using these services during the continuing attacks, and try to glean ideas on how they could be adapted to the US.

I can’t stress enough: people can and will use these devices and apps in a terrorist attack, so it is imperative that officials start telling us what kind of information would be relevant from Twitter, Flickr, etc. (and, BTW, what shouldn’t be spread: one Twitter user in Mumbai tweeted me that people were sending the exact location of people still in the hotels, and could tip off the terrorists) and that they begin to monitor these networks in disasters, terrorist attacks, etc.

Tim O'Reilly, Founder & CEO O'Reilly Media
tim () oreilly com, http://radar.oreilly.com