Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Layoffs - 10,000 Workers Affected

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:22:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () oreilly com>
Date: November 24, 2008 9:04:04 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Google Layoffs - 10,000 Workers Affected

I should add that Daya Baran has a checkered history with Google, his Web Guild events having been moved off Google's campus after various unethical marketing schemes on his part became controversial. (He was putting on conferences named after other people's successful tech events, such as Carson Workshops Future of Web Apps and O'Reilly's Web 2.0 conferences. Google asked him to rename the events, and he refused, at which point they declined to sponsor them in future.)

See the Techcrunch coverage from January:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/01/webguild-using-questionable-tactics-to-promote-events/

He then proceeded to claim (without any basis) that Google had kicked him out based on pressure from me, and went on to cite such authoritative sources as Valleywag in attacking my character.

It demonstrates pretty low journalism standards to use him as a source for a story about Google layoffs without doing any checking about his history with Google.

Tim O'Reilly, Founder & CEO O'Reilly Media
tim () oreilly com, http://radar.oreilly.com