Interesting People mailing list archives

re U.K. turns CCTV, terrorism laws on pooping dogs | Surveillance State - CNET ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 19:18:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: lost journals <lostjournals () gmail com>
Date: May 12, 2008 7:00:42 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] U.K. turns CCTV, terrorism laws on pooping dogs | Surveillance State - CNET ...

I don't know what is going on with the UK, it's like they're using
1984 as an installation guide.

In case anyone missed this clever turning of the tables, however,
here's the story of a music band who not being able to afford to
produce their video, performed in front of 80 of the estimated 13
million (public) surveillance cameras in UK, and then got the footage
by filing a request under UK's Data Protection Act.

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=3961

Link includes the finished video.

"The Get Out Clause are an upcoming UK band who are currently
unsigned.  They took a brilliant and I'm sure soon to be much copied
method to producing their own video.  Unable to hire a production crew
for a standard 1980's era MTV music video, they performed their music
in front of 80 of the 13 million CCTV "security" cameras available in
England, including one on a bus.

They then used Britain's Data Protection Act to request the footage
that was shot of them.  Grab some decent and inexpensive video editing
tools (say. . . an iMac) and presto!  They got themselves a unique and
in my opinion quite interesting music video."

cheers,

Forest Mars
--
"In theory, theory and practice are exactly the same.
In practice, they're completely different."

Switch to Name.Space: http://namespace.org/switch
Support new domains & keep free media free! Register yours today!
https://secure.name-space.com/registry