Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Larry Page wants "Wi-Fi on Steroids"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 18:13:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: May 26, 2008 1:55:26 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Larry Page wants "Wi-Fi on Steroids"

While ducting is an interesting phenomenon, as are other propagation
modes, one should be a little cautious about claims of "interference"
that rely on analogies from long-range AM or FM broadcast propagation.

Neither AM nor FM is a digital modulation technology, neither uses
modern coding techniques. (FM has a bit of a "capture effect" but that
depends on the particular receiver architecture employed - it's not
digitally coded).

Superposition of signals that result from "ducting" need not disrupt
channels.   For example, NTSC TV pictures degrade badly based on noise
because so little of the NTSC channel capacity is devoted to picture
signal (lots is devoted to retrace pulses and other things).  But a
comparable digitally encoded picture given the same channel will
tolerate a great deal of superposed noise, without any loss of picture
quality.

When we are talking about "white spaces" it is crucial to understand the
systems design of the system being used.   Ducting may or may not be
crucial.   It may be possible to design around ducting.   It may be
possible to ensure that ducted signals don't disrupt legacy systems,
because the legacy systems are largely of fixed design.

Ham radio operators are NOT necessarily experts in information theory or electromagnetic waves. To get a ham license, one merely has to answer a
set of multiple-choice questions that are based on cookbook
understanding of radio systems that go back 50 years.

That said, the converse is not true.  Many ham radio operators ARE at
the highest end of one or more areas of technology that pertain to
radio.  So I would suggest that the proper way to understand these
issues is to discuss them based on the physics and information theory
and circuit designs that are used in radio systems. Claims of authority from experience with unrelated systems are less valuable when looking at
newly invented technologies (like the best whitespaces work).