Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Mozilla phancies doing a Phorm

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 07:53:11 -0700

From: Dan Brickley [danbri () danbri org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:37 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Mozilla phancies doing a Phorm

David Farber wrote:

For IP if etc...

Response from a Mozillarist here:
http://john.jubjubs.net/2008/05/13/mozilla-firefox-data/

[[
So we asked ourselves what we can do to help unlock some of this latent
potential — and started thinking about whether there’s a project we can
do at Mozilla that does a few things:

    1. Collects & shares data in a way that embodies the user control &
privacy options which are at Mozilla’s core.
    2. Enables everyone — from individual researchers and entrepreneurs
(both the social and capitalist types) to the largest organizations in
the world — to take usage data, mix it up, mash it up, derive insight,
and hopefully share some of that insight with others.
    3. Helps move the conversation around data collection and web usage
forward, to help consumers make more informed decisions.

It seems obvious to us that there’s lots to be done here, and lots that
we can do, if we can work with our broad community to figure it out.
]]

cheers,

Dan

Begin forwarded message: