Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Wireless patient devices at risk from proposed Internet use

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 05:14:40 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 7:42 AM
To: David P. Reed
Cc: David Farber; ip; Matthew Kaufman
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Wireless patient devices at risk from proposed Internet use

I should also point out that my note said "there is a germ of truth" in
the issue, and if asked I would have included both EMC and wireless
mic/telemetry risks in the legitimate but relatively minor concern
column.  However, the mention that "this can be worked out" is a
footnote at the end of the article headed by a "blood on your hands"
headline.   The reader of the headline (and the scurrilous "blackout of
Nashville" comments), the text, etc. suggest that the PR activities of
the intervenors with the press took little precaution to quantify risk,
and to assess their own responsibility/malfeasance for implementing
safety critical systems with secondary/tertiary spectrum while not
building in resiliency, as would be the professional responsibility of
any engineering professional in the IEEE.